Navigator
Facebook
Search
Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Kurdish farmers in Kirkuk fear Arab land takeover

A place for discussion and exchanging ideas about Kurdistan issues here, also a place for sharing article & views and analysis about Kurdistan .

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 am

Kurdish farmers
fear Arab takeover

Farmers in Kirkuk province fear Arabs resettled under the Baath regime are planning to take over their land and seize crops

Video footage circulating on social media over the weekend showed Arabs on Kurdish farmland in Saragaran, removing crops and threatening to confiscate the land.

"The [resettled Arabs] now live in Dibis. They are waiting for something to happen so they can return to this area. They are around 300 to 400 families.

They have been eyeing our lands," landowner Arshad Salih told Rudaw.

Kirkuk province constitutes part of the territories disputed between Erbil and Baghdad. Many Arabs from southern Iraq were resettled in the area during Saddam Hussein's rule.

"He [a resettled Arab] sent me a message saying I have to abandon my house and the farmland to him. He was saying that the [Iraqi] government had given the land to him. I do not know which court granted him ownership of my land," Salih added.

Kurdish farmers have previously accused Arabs of setting fire to their crops.

Farmers in the area are also threatened by Islamic State (ISIS) militants, who have taken to burning farmland across the disputed territories.

To prevent Iraqi armed forces from interfering in land disputes, Kurdish MPs and members of the Iraqi Parliament's security and defence committee have received guarantee from the Iraqi Joint Operations Command that local armed forces in Kirkuk, Diyala and Saladin provinces will not interfere in administrative affairs in their respective regions.

There are 38 villages in Sargaran town. 12 of these villages are subject to land disputes, according to Sargaran local council.

https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/18052020

PLEASE feel free to vent your anger

Every time I am reminded of Sadam and his Baath regime giving Kurdish land to Arabs, my fury rises

The world does nothing to protect Kurds from such thefts

There should be NO dispute

Sadam paid thieving Arabs to steal Kurdish homes, businesses and farms

In other parts of the world, if someone steals something they go to prison

But nobody cares if the victims are Kurds
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Kurdish farmers in Kirkuk fear Arab land takeover

PostAuthor: Anthea » Tue May 19, 2020 2:11 am

If legally, when ISIS supporters were assigned someone else's property to live in it is considered a form of looting: if ISIS assigned jihadis to live in an apartment, that meant the previous residents must have been expelled or killed. This is defined as looting, or pillaging — and is thus a violation of article 8 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court

Why, does not the same International law apply to Arabs who were assigned Kurdish property in Kirkuk ???
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Return to Kurdistan Debates, Articles and Analysis