Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Latin or Arabic Script for Kurdish ...?

Discuss about language(s) in English

Which Kurdish Script is better?

Kurdish Version of Arabic Script
14%
Latin Script
86%
none of them , we need to make a new script.
No votes

Total votes : 21

PostAuthor: admin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:51 pm

there is two kind of script in todays Kurdish writing

1- Kurdish Version of Arabic Script
2- Latin Script been copied from Turks.

we see some kurdish sites in Latin and some in Arabic...
if we want to say we are a nation , then we must have a united script .which one is better by your idea...

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostAuthor: abdur » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:24 am

I voted for the latin script. Kurdish is an indo european language and its logical that we therefore use the same script as most of the other european people do. Internet websites are mostly in the latin script.. i also see a lot of arabs writing their language nowadays in this script, why shouldnt we.
abdur
Shermin
Shermin

Nationality: Prefer not to say

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:04 am

if you want my idea, using Latin Script is just showing our hate against arabs not anything else... we shuldnt try to show our hate everywhere

Turks think they are so Western but they are not...and they converted arabic script to latin I hate to see Kurdish in the way Turks write Turkish...

it is right that most of the Sites support Latin script ...but today , Kurdish Arabic Script is in UNICODE....
do you know what it means? it means you can see Kurdish ARabic Script without installing any font...because microsoft accepts Kurdish UNICODE .in fact "Kurd IT Group" site has a done a great job by making Kurdish UniCode... I want to say ,"we have WORKEED on Kurdish Version of Arabic Script...."

I think Latin Script doesnt come to Kurdish...
Latin script wasnt made by Kurds, wasnt invented by Kurds...

but the Kurdish Version of Arabic Scrript , is an invention by Kurds...
it is a NEW version of that Arabic Script , we added Symbols and letters to this script... and we have worked on it to use it in internet..

so why should we forget our old jobs...and copy what turks did...
Last edited by dyaoko on Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then YOU WIN !
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 1
Arcade winning challenges: 1
Nationality: Kurd

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:05 am

abdur , pease Cick on the OK after chosing your vote...so your vote be counted...
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then YOU WIN !
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostAuthor: abdur » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:35 am

This time i've succeeded in voting. :)
Medya, we didnt copy the latin script from turks, we have the û ê and î which doesnt exist in turkish alfabet. You can also say we copied the arabic script from the arabs in that case (and later changed the e, i, u into real letters). Maybe it's also a feeling why i resist the arabic script, as a kid we had to learn the qoran and all we did was reading those arabic words but we didnt understand anything what we read.

Anyway, i think most kurds from the east , south and west will vote for the arabic script which they are used to and the northern kurds will go for the latin.
abdur
Shermin
Shermin

Nationality: Prefer not to say

PostAuthor: Emmunah » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:02 am

I can't vote on this, it is not for me to say...but I think the arabic script is the most beautiful (other than old singalese) in the world. It would be more artistic if it were in arabic script.

On the other hand, it will be insulated and distant from the scripts that Americans or Europeans would use, and therefore make it too formidable to learn or read by those in the west..at present anyway. That might not be as helpful for political reasons.

The best thing might just be to see which happens. To predetermine it, may not be wise. For example, if Southern Kurdistan becomes the place I think we would all like for it to be, then the arabic script and the Sorani will predominate, because publishing will be done in the arabic script no?

I don't know if two dialects can be returned to one dialect, although I'm sure it has happened before right? Usually though, they grow more distant, like the Portuguese and Spanish...American and English....Dutch and German. There are some interesting twists, like Swahili, which is a language of communication between tribes that turned into its own language over time.

I really wish Esparanto had worked! Wouldn't that be wonderful? We could all communicate fluently, and still speak our own native tongues from birth.
Emmunah
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Piling » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:07 pm

Kurdish Latin alphabet was not copied from Turkish. It has been created during the French Mandate in Syria with Kurish princes Bedir Xan's brothers, French kurdologists and the Kurdish review Hawar. It is a quite good alphabet except for the S, (sh) which is difficult to write on keyboards.

Arabic-Persian alphabet is beautiful but quite difficult to read for Northern Kurds. At the contrary, Southern Kurds know better Latin alphabet because of English. Having a common alphabet would help Sorani and Kurmanji to read themselves each other. It might be uselful for learning both dialects.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 2
Arcade winning challenges: 3
Nationality: European

PostAuthor: kassem » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:01 am

w
Last edited by kassem on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kassem
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: kassem » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:06 am

w
Last edited by kassem on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kassem
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:16 am

Kurdish Latin alphabet was not copied from Turkish. It has been created during the French Mandate in Syria with Kurish princes Bedir Xan's brothers, French kurdologists and the Kurdish review Hawar. It is a quite good alphabet except for the S, (sh) which is difficult to write on keyboards.

intresting ! i didnt know so our Latin Kurdish Alphabet is more close to french one ? so we can say that Turks copied it from us ? or...

I think i was convinced that we must turn our scritp to latin .
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostAuthor: Piling » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:55 am

Here is a link which presents Kurdish alphabets :

http://ggautierk.free.fr/e/1-projet.htm#writing

It is true that Bedir Xan saw an advantage to abandon, as Turks at the same time, Ottoman characters. In 20s-30s Kurds had still the hope to have a fair federalism between Turks and Kurds, so it would seem better to have the same alphabet. But it was too a will to separate Kurdish scholars and 'Ulema, to weak Islamic influence and culture, which spred with Arabic/Coranic alphabet.

This alphabet was an attempt also to unify Kurdish dialects by a standardization of kurmanji.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Sometimes, just for that reason, I wish that Kurds forget definitively the so Holy Arabic alphabet :roll:

Kurdish language forbidden in Kirkuk hospitals

18/04/2005 KurdishMedia.com - By Bryar Mariwani
London (KurdishMedia.com) 18 April 2004: The Kurdish newspaper Aso reported on Sunday that the Kurdish language is still not allowed to be used in Kirkuk’s hospitals.

The newspaper reported that in a meeting in Kirkuk Childrens Hospital, Dr. Shahen requested that Kurdish writings in the hospital should be removed and only Arabic should be used as it is the language of the holy Islamic book Qur’an.

The same newspaper reported a few weeks ago in issue number 69 that the Iraqi Islamic Party, the large Sunni party which boycotted the January elections in Iraq, condemned the use of Kurdish with the Latin alphabet in its newspaper ‘Dar-Al-Salam’ and regarded it as a threat to the Arabic language.

Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: ChiChalok » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Before i left Kurdistan .. it was da arabic script .. i wonder wat they are teaching in schools now .. haha i really wana learn read to read kurdish :cry:
~CheeCh ... CheeCh~
ChiChalok
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: Diri » Thu May 12, 2005 1:53 pm

Off course we should use the LATIN script... Because:

1) Kurdish is a "Indo-european" language...
2) Kurds are Arians so are most of Europeans
3) Europeans can read the Latin Script
4) It will be easy to adapt it to internet use
5) The script (Kurdish version) has exhisted for ca 100 years
6) Keep in mind that Europeans are our future "tourists"!
7) It is understood by all Kurds and countries because of the importance English playes in the world
8) Arabic has just recently been the script in use by Kurds...

All the reasons are good reasons... but maybe there are even more reasons?

Well anyway... It must be said - Turks did not discover the alphabet... they also copied it from the french... just like us... The turks don't have Î Û Ê and they don't have other alphabets like Q W X =) So they are the ones who have copied...
Diri
Shaswar
Shaswar

Next

Return to Language